Sunday, October 6, 2013

Experience 0111 - This is the End (well not really)

First up in my journey this session I opted to finish up the Mind Over Murder activities. You can see below I'm hurling a garbage truck. The activity is quite frantic with all sorts of mascots trying to gun you down while you wreak havoc (nothing really new for Saints Row).

One carefully aimed garbage truck hurl.

Before moving onto the next mission to save Matt Miller I figured it was time for costume change. The warrior in chaps is a bit awkward but seemed to work out. I looked through the actual full all-in-one outfits and realized that many of them have better components than just buying the individual pieces. There was a full warrior suit using the top armor piece that had a much better lower body (well compared to chaps ...).

Warrior President?
After changing I was off to the virtual world to save Matt Miller. Kinzie actively hacked things as I went through the experience. I found the little jokes about her commands not working (as seen below) quite entertaining but they definitely date me a bit. srkfa is a reference to an old Doom cheat code (idkfa) that gave you all weapons and full ammo. noclip is a more generic cheat code and just refers to allowing characters to pass through objects/walls (originally idclip). I had to first do some classic Atari-style Tank battling.

Drop Tank -- thanks Kinzie.
Up next I had to fight some tanks back in the game's standard 3d mode and then ride a Tron Cycle for a while... could have been a lot more fun honestly (definitely needed more jumps or something... the path was fairly bland).

I think most of the Tron Cycle experience was just for Zinyak to talk over...
Up next Zinyak gave me the option to save Matt or kill myself and save everyone. I of course opted to kill myself ending the game immediately (even played the credits). Apparently in that case Zinyak lied (shocker!).


YES!

Yes Again! (the next part of the text is to "kill yourself")
After the credits ran I had the option to pick again from my choices and opted to save Matt as opposed to quitting/uninstalling the game and writing a review about how short the experience felt. As with SR3 I had the confusing pleasure of playing through a text adventure (with graphics this time though). The experience is fairly linear without any possibility of failure (unlike many older adventure games that killed you if you pressed a key in a certain way). One oddity was that one of the entries I chose used a contraction to which the text adventure indicated it did not understand contractions. This would be acceptable except later one of the valid entries used a contraction. What? Why is that? Weird...

Decent graphics.
One homage I really liked in the text adventure was the music. Clearly someone liked the original Metroid music because I swear it was just about the same tones, but certainly a bit off.


Above left: Bioshock Infinite screenshot
It's probably about time for another outfit change and another mission! (as I think I am out of activities)

No comments:

Post a Comment